I have an Instagram account which has about 180 followers on it (woot woot let’s have a ticker tape parade. Everything I highlighted there is dripping in sarcasm. In case you missed it) and as I look through my posts I’m not really beaming with pride at the beauty of it all. The photos aren’t horrible, my captions are reasonably amusing and of late I’ve been hashtagging the crappers out it. But as a whole, it’s just not that pretty.
When I look around, I’m inspired and amused by lots of different kinds of accounts: they just seem to flow beautifully and make you want to hop straight in and photo bomb. Mine doesn’t. I look at it and wonder where this mish mash of mediocre photos (which have been made slightly better by a filter) have come from.
I’m not all that stupid though and despite my artistic inabilities I’ve worked out what all the beautiful ones have in common: a specific theme.
- @inspirationerrday OR Annoying uplifting sayings written on an annoying inspirational background in some inspirational font.
- @the_thriving_elephant OR The same filter used on a baby (who isn’t moving yet) dressed in designer gear and generally looking pretty cute.
- @tres_noosa OR Beautiful beach things which would be RUINED at my place in no time.
- @kidsaretheworst OR Children chucking tantrums or drawing on walls or generally just being shits.
- @emmabournephotography OR Highly annoying person who takes amazing photos.
- @iamboo_officialfanpage OR a lot of fluffy dogs (46.4k followers!!!).
- @mummaaintmumsy OR Highly annoying person who takes amazing photos of outfits they’ve put together and look great in. #annoying #notenviousatall #longlivejeansandatshirt
All of these accounts are quite lovely- check them out- even the dog one.
So what can I do to improve my instafeed? I could stage my photos (ain’t got time for that), use the same filter again and again (don’t think Ludwig would work on my red-faced selfies somehow), take a photography course or try and find some cohesion in my life…
The thing is, it’s a pretty accurate version of my life. My life at the moment is messy. It’s disjointed. I have adult moments and mothering days interspersed with working moments and lots of cooking non-spicy meals and cleaning crumbs up off the floor and shlepping to school and moments where I get to take a breath and look at the horizon long enough to think ‘This would make a great Instagram post’ but let it go in favour of just being in the moment.
So when you look through those photos and read those captions, you are looking at a true reflection of what’s feeding through my day. Mess and a thousand different themes. I am not a perfect or classical beautiful or stylised Instafeed. I’m just a mama trying her best to document this chaotic life.
What’s your favourite social media platform? And is your account ‘pretty’ or more drunk lorikeet?
Linking up with #IBOT